5.21.2007

Little Old Buttons




I love using vintage sewing notions and fabrics for my creations... stuff was just made better in the olde days. The antique buttons are so fascinating, I always wonder about the person who originally bought them new from the store, carefully selecting it off the display rack and then taking it home in a little bag... perhaps for a sewing project or replace missing buttons on a dress back in the 1920's-30's. One can't help but think of the era and how life was then.
The buttons I acquire sometimes are still on the original crumpled & worn card after all this time, saved or forgotten, somehow spared from the dustbin, perhaps even traveled around the globe! So I always feel I owe it to the buttons to put them to good use :O)

2 comments:

Karen said...

I love the little old buttons. There are so many things you can do with buttons. Special memories of buttons on our favorite coat or dress, etc.
I remember my grandmother had an old tin box she kept her buttons in. I think my sister has that now. Great memories of grandma finding buttons in that tin and using them on a dress she made for me when I was in the 6th grade. Wow, that's going back along time ago. KSedlak

Peng Peng said...

What a sweet 'button' memory! I remember my grandma had a pair of those tiny embroidery scissors, shaped like a bird/ pelican. I wish i had them now :)